“Not all those who wander are lost.” -J.R.R. Tolkien
Digitization of the Travel Industry
Over the course of the past two decades, many industries have witnessed transformations of their operations into digital mediums; travel and hospitality being one of them. The travel industry was previously one of those that was bogged down by arduous manual processes starting from people visiting agencies for hours to waiting to check-in for longer. Now, with streamlined apps offering end-to-end procedures, the vertical has upped its game to cater to young millennials who can access these services on their fingertips and on the go. This digitization also offers the convenience of accessing the entire travel itinerary through specialised web and mobile applications.
Travel trends are changing swiftly and automation has a huge role to play in this. One massive change that has arisen from this is the elimination of middlemen who previously played a huge role in the booking process. This transformation has helped in increasing factors such as both reliability and efficiency, as the customer is offered transparency with regards to apportionment of their travel related funds. Another major change is the introduction of progressive web apps, which come in multiple languages and cater to users in various demographics. These applications contain all relevant information about the products and services offered by the company, based on which customers can make an informed decision after careful evaluation.
Benefits of the ‘Digitization Effect'
- In today’s day and age, mobile phones are an integral part of one’s lifestyle. Current insights express that cumulatively, almost 35% of clients bookings are made via cellphones and tablets. There are many mobile and tablet applications, whose providers are significant competitors in the field.
- ChatBots and on-demand conversations are some of the services that have made travel applications a haven for potential travelers. Previously, one had to go through the tiresome process of coordinating with agencies in order to streamline their travel plans. The introduction of digital features like ChatBots and on-demand conversations has helped users in having their queries addressed virtually, at any place and time of the day.
- AI has made travel a smooth experience; applications can propose alternatives that suit you by assessing your previous travel history. The machine learning mechanism bases this information on historical data, previous searches and profile interests, after which suggestions are made based on personalized experiences.
- Travel companies often follow an omni-channel approach wherein every customer-client interaction is managed, documented and logged for future reference. This technique has provided better management for both parties, hence providing a wholesome and streamlined experience.
- They also provide various loyalty programs on their applications which recurring customers can easily take advantage of. Whenever a customer avails a specific service, loyalty points are deposited in the individual’s app-based account which can then be encashed or redeemed at a later point in time. This technique ensures a good client-user relationship.
Mobile Applications’ Role in the Travel Industry
As mentioned earlier, a huge strata of travelers are mobile users and the plethora of applications available in the new-gen market has truly made the travel-booking experience smooth and memorable for customers. Mobile and tablet applications are consistently being used as a self-service option and various unique services can be availed almost instantaneously, which include, but are not limited to:
- Special services and offers are available for customers on mobile apps ensuring them more for less.
- Users can check-in and check-out of hotels on their mobile and tablet applications ahead of time.
- Services like laundry and dry cleaning, dinner reservations, room service orders, appointments for spa treatments or massages can be booked from any place utilising such applications.
- Online payments are a boon for travelers. Travel applications have the option of paying online, and some even have the benefit of an added built-in wallet. This provides users with a more secure experience, especially when travelling internationally.
- Another pro offered by travel applications is the instantaneousness and ease-of-use involved in the app experience.
- Using mobile applications, holiday goers can access live and up-to-date information regarding destinations, local destinations, iindigenous food, hotels and restaurants while they are on-the-go.
GeekyAnts’ contribution to the Travel & Hospitality Industry
We, at GeekyAnts, believe that travel should be an experience worth remembering and to support that we also believe in giving our best to make sure our collaborations with travel associates bring out the best work in the field. Holidays are time for one to unwind and our partnerships with our clients have brought out digital solutions, made with top-of-the-line technology, to help travelers have the time of their lives.
- In 2018, we met with the visionary of Tripabrood, Alexa-Maria Rathbone Barker, who had an idea of providing families with their personalised experience when planning a trip. In the app she envisioned, she came up with the idea of providing customers with an interactive user journey where their previous experiences are considered to provide a truly one-of-a-kind wanderlust adventure. The brainchild, a progressive mobile application, named Skyee features an AI assistant works on making family holidays an experience to cherish. The app is now a groundbreaker in the industry.
- We collaborated with AirOps in 2019 to create an app that would streamline the aviation industry. Our application was a huge hit as it gave admins the access to access flight information and hence increase the quality and efficiency of the services being offered. We also provided a built-in intercom in the app enable users to seek customer support easily.
The travel industry, as we know it, is changing... and constantly at the same time. As we are at the pinnacle of technological advancement, we feel it is necessary to integrate age-old methods with the newest of technologies in order to provide a sublime experience to those whose hearts seek for the thrill and excitement associated with travel.